Waste USA Landfill - Coventry Landfill
Mon - Fri: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Sat: 8:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Mon - Fri: 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM
A state of the art 51-acre development essential for satisfying the long-term waste disposal needs of Vermonters.
What's There Now
The only current operating disposal facility in Vermont. The Coventry landfill is a well-run facility with highly engineered systems and an excellent compliance record in accordance with all local, State and federal regulations. As one of the highest regulated facilities in the State, the Coventry landfill successfully operates at an optimal level as evidenced by thousands of air and water quality tests and numerous inspections passed each year. Additionally, the site serves as a renewable energy park by creating enough electricity to power 8,500 Vermont homes using both landfill gas-to-energy and solar power.
What's in the Works
Casella is actively pursuing necessary approvals for a 51-acre expansion to provide a cost-effective sustainable waste disposal solution to meet the needs of Vermonters. This proposed development is an important part of Vermont's environmental and public health infrastructure, managing our waste safely and responsibly for 20+ years. The landfill expansion gives you and all Vermonters one less thing to worry about. Additional benefits to this project include greenhouses for local use, energy creation from waste, and financial benefits to the Northeast Kingdom and beyond.
What's Happening Next
To date Casella has successfully attained the following permits from State and federal authorities:
- Title V Air Pollution Control Permit
- Stormwater Discharge Permit
- Stormwater Multisector General Permit
- Stormwater Construction General Permit
- Solid Waste Management Facility Certification
- U.S. Army Corp of Engineers Wetlands Permit
- Vermont Wetlands Program Wetlands Permit
- Solid Waste Rule Variance
- Prime Ag Mitigation Approval
- Archeological Study and Determination of No Impact
- Vermont AOT Memorandum of Understanding (proximity to Airport)
- Vermont AOT Highway Access Permits
- Waste Water Permit Amendment for Water Supply to the Greenhouses
The Coventry Landfill has one remaining permit to successfully obtain through Act 250. Act 250 is Vermont's land use and development law, enacted in 1970. The law provides a public, quasi-judicial process for reviewing and managing the environmental, social, and fiscal consequences of major subdivisions and developments in Vermont. This permitting process is well underway with one remaining hearing to occur before a final decision is conveyed.
Supporters to Date
- Regional Planning Commission Letter of Support
- Town of Coventry Letter of Support
- Northeast Kingdom Solid Waste Management District Letter of Support
Your support for the landfill expansion is important to ensure continued cost-effective sustainable waste disposal solutions to meet the needs of Vermonters.
- Phone: (888) 852-2151
- Mon - Fri: 7:00am - 5:00pm
- Sat: 8:00am - 12:00pm
- Phone: (802) 438-2151
- Mon - Fri: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM